Manage episode 333635479 series 2312028
Relationships can feel complicated. We often go into them looking for others to fulfill whatever we refuse to give ourselves. We want our unmet needs to be met by this other person, without doing the inner work to help ourselves. Owning our needs actually makes it easier for other people to meet our needs. This sounds counterintuitive, but it’s one of those breakthroughs that can really turn toxic relationship patterns around.
Today I’m excited to share a conversation with my good friend Angelika Alana, all about tuning into our bodies, our physical and emotional needs, and healing our connection to ourselves and others. Angelika is the founder and CEO of the Somatic Healing Institute. She has been featured in Vanity Fair, Well+Good, and Modern Luxury. She certifies coaches and facilitators in her transformational body-based healing method. She has traveled and studied extensively in Indonesia, Brazil, Australia, and the UK, and is a massive foodie with her husband Patrick Drake, co-founder of Hello Fresh.
This episode is brought to you by Gut Food, BiOptimizers, InsideTracker, and Pendulum.
Check out Gut Food at gutfood.com.
Go to magbreakthrough.com/hyman and use code hyman10 at checkout for 10% off your next order of BiOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough.
Right now, InsideTracker is offering my community 20% off at insidetracker.com/drhyman.
Pendulum is the first company to figure out how to harness the amazing benefits of Akkermansia in a probiotic capsule. To receive 20% off your first purchase of Pendulum’s Akkermansia probiotic supplement, go to Pendulumlife.com and use code MARK20.
Here are more details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- Angelika’s journey into somatic and sexual healing work (6:38 / 2:47)
- Getting out of your head and into your body (10:59 / 7:20)
- Creating space from our emotions to safely integrate pain (16:43 / 12:06)
- How to locate your wounds (21:15 / 17:10)
- Client stories from Angelika’s work (24:41 / 19:28)
- What happens in a typical somatic healing session? (34:12 / 28:59)
- Moving out of a toxic relationship framework (38:24 / 33:12)
- How to know if you’re in a toxic relationship or a healing relationship (42:29 / 37:12)
- Learning new skills to succeed in sex and relationships (49:32 / 42:32)
- Holding more complexity with care (54:02 / 49:03)
Learn more about Angelika’s work at angelikaalana.com. Access her Somatic Self Care, Level 1 Training here, information about her upcoming retreat here, and a free guided somatic mindfulness practice here.
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.