Manage episode 295592540 series 2286515
In the latest episode of the L3 Leadership podcast, Doug Smith speaks with Ryan Hawk about his advice in the corporate world, experience in football, his recent book, Welcome To Management: How To Grow From Top Performer To Excellent Leader, his show, The Learning Leader Show, and more. Check it out on any major podcasting platform!
Key Take-Aways From Episode 279:
- While you have to be excellent at your current job, on the side, you have to be working on developing the skills to be excellent at the next job.
- Develop a relationship with those who are in decision-making roles early on in your career.
- Leaders are about people choosing to commit to you rather than committing to someone else.
- Commitment is a choice.
- The excellent leaders in the world are the ones who live in a way where they inspire others to choose to commit to them versus complying to whatever they say because they don’t want to get fired.
- Ryan Hawk shares his definition of a good day and operating framework:
- Fuel your intake engine
- Be a doer; experiment
- “You should strive to be a learning machine.” - Charlie Munger
About Ryan Hawk
Ryan Hawk is a keynote speaker, author, advisor, and the host of The Learning Leader Show, a podcast with millions of listeners in more than 150 countries. He is the author of Welcome To Management: How To Grow From Top Performer To Excellent Leader (McGraw-Hill, January 2020). Forbes called WELCOME TO MANAGEMENT “the best leadership book of 2020.”
A lifelong student of leadership, he rose to roles as a professional quarterback and VP of Sales at a multibillion-dollar company. Currently, as head of Brixey & Meyer’s leadership advisory practice, Ryan speaks regularly at Fortune 500 companies, works with teams and players in the NFL, NBA, and NCAA, and facilitates “Leadership Circles” that offers structured guidance and collaborative feedback to new and experienced leaders.