Manage episode 302387799 series 2868841
Judge Suzanne Chanti & Judge Nan Waller, Circuit Courts Judges and Co-chairs of the Chief Justice’s Behavioral Health Advisory Committee (BHAC) discuss:
- The definition of procedural justice, which is also known as procedural fairness;
- The importance of slowing down and using plain language, listening, and involving people in the court process;
- How this folds into trauma informed processes;
- The importance of the judicial system being aware of and suppressing their personal biases and values;
- Cultural Competency;
- Mindfully incorporating procedural fairness into the courtroom and throughout the courthouse;
- Reaching out on a human level; and
- Vicarious trauma in the courtroom.
For more information about the intersection between criminal justice and behavioral health in Oregon, please reach out to us through our website at http://www.ocbhji.org/podcast and Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/OCBHJI/. We’d love to hear from you.