Manage episode 268005710 series 52378
BS 174 is an interview with neuroscientist and philosopher Georg Northoff about his fascinating book "The Spontaneous Brain: From the Mind–Body to the World–Brain Problem." We explore the significance of the growing evidence that most of the brain's activity occurs independently of external stimuli with a focus on the implications of this finding for our understanding of how the brain generates consciousness.
Links and References:
- The Spontaneous Brain: From the Mind–Body to the World–Brain Problem by Georg Northoff
- The Brain from Inside Out by György Buzsáki (BS 172)
- Surfing Uncertainty: Prediction, Action, and the Embodied Mind by Andy Clark (BS 126)
- Northoff G, et al. Is temporal-spatial dynamics the “common currency” of brain and mind? In Quest of “Spatiotemporal Neuroscience”. Why Life Rev (2019), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plrev.2019.05.002 (Link to Abstract)
- Georg Northoff website: http://www.georgnorthoff.com (for videos, talks and additional papers
- Please visit http://brainsciencepodcast.com for additional references and episode transcripts.
Please Visit Our Sponsors:
- Brain Science comes out on 4th Friday each month.
- Support Brain Science by buying Are You Sure? The Unconscious Origins of Certainty by Virginia "Ginger" Campbell, MD
- Post a review on by August 31 to receive an invitation to a special webinar with Dr. Campbell
- Learn more ways to support Brain Science at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/donations
- Sign up for the free Brain Science Newsletter to get show notes automatically every month. You can also text brainscience to 55444 to sign up.
- Check out the free Brain Science Mobile app for iOS, Android, and Windows. (It's a great way to get both new episodes and premium content.)
Connect on Social Media:
Contact Dr. Campbell:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voicemail: http://speakpipe.com/docartemis