Successful Performercast by Kris Sheppard | Successful Performer Cast | Weekly Interviews with Professional Entertainers | Show Business, Showbiz, Performer, Magic, Magician, Juggler, Comedian, Musician
Best of Episodes - Michael Eaton - Restaurant Magic
Manage episode 120404808 series 87502
Michael Eaton is a professional magician from Orlando Florida, one of the official magicians of the Orlando Magic basketball team, and his business and marketing chops are as amazing as his magic chops! During our conversation, we talk in depth about restaurant magic and his approach to performing in them.
Relate to people and adapt well to environments. Life will often teach you more than a book can. — Michael Eaton
• Michael's approach to restaurant magic isn't just about performing for tables to help the guests wait for their food. He works with the restaurant and uses his magic to help bring in business and increase interaction online with the restaurant.
• Push vs. Pull marketing.
• The importance of wardrobe to your act.
• How to approach tables: Read, Relate, Rapport. He even gives us a script he uses when approaching tables.
• Michael's stance on accepting tips
• Why people tip. Sometimes the affluent will tip you as a way of dismissing you to move on to the next table.
A Moment of Failure:
Find out how Michael learned the hard way to think twice about what he posts in social media arenas.
Michael had the privilege and honor to perform for the Kentucky Derby Train for high profile people and politicians.
What's working for him business-wise?
Maintaining relationships and treating everyone as equal. You just never know who you know.
Other topics touched upon:
• What it's like being one of the official magicians of the Orlando Magic.
• Tells about his first paid magic gig for which he had to borrow some apparatus from the magic shop that employed him.
• Talks about the considerable resistance he's received from friends and family in response to being a full time magician.
• Tells a heart-warming story about performing for a group of people at a restaurant that just returned from a funeral of a dear loved one. It illustrates the fact that it's not about tricks, moves, or sleights. It's not about our act, but about the people we meet and the difference we can make in their lives.
Have a specific client avatar for you to target.
Recommended books and resources:
Note: Many of the links in this section are affiliate links, meaning we earn a small portion of any sales. If you're enjoying our podcast and decide to purchase one of the recommended resources or books, please consider using our affiliate links to help support the work we're doing here at the Successful Performercast. Thanks!
Performance Specific Book
Non-Performance Specific Books
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
No BS Direct Marketing by Dan Kennedy
Restaurant Magic Consultation Session - $199
Michael offers a special restaurant magic consultation session on how to track and show how you're making a difference to the bottom line of the restaurants you work at. If you take him up on this offer, please let him know you heard about it here! You can contact him at his website. Eaton Magic
Where can we find Michael Eaton?