Manage episode 282886174 series 2342628
Keep yourself up to date with all things property by joining your host and property expert Kevin. Kevin discusses the new announcement by the government whereby section 21 is being abolished and looks at what should be put in place to help protect landlords going forward. He also takes a look at the best Universities for rental yield and what’s been going on this week in the Progressive Property Community.
- The government has said that the Renters Reform Bill will be in very soon. The government will introduce the controversial bill soon, this is the bill that will abolish section 21 rights for Landlords. Section 21 currently allows landlords to remove tenants for no fault other than wanting to get your house back.
- There is lots of research to discuss what can be done to replace section 21. Section 8 doesn’t currently allow for no-fault eviction. There needs to be something to replace section 21 that would make it easier for a landlord to evict a tenant that’s causing damage to the property or who is not paying their rent.
- The University Of Southampton is currently the UK’s best buy to let University at present according to the figures. Southampton is a great area to do student HMO’s. Southampton has a current average house price of £226,489 whilst the current average rent sits at £1688 per month. A buy to let in the University postcode has a rental yield of 7.4%.
- Other Universities in the top 10 for rental yield were Nottingham, Newcastle, Warwick, Cardiff, Leicester and Kent. Many landlords have seen their rental income come down during the pandemic. Despite the current landscape, demand for student accommodation remains high across the country.
- Real-life property deals as a Progressive Property member has secured their first rent to rent deal during Covid. The member took on a four-bedroom flat on a five-year lease at £1100 PCM. The deal returns £2585 PCM with £1000 PCM profit.
“There needs to be something different that will balance both sides. At the moment it’s very much weighed against the landlord and for the tenant.”
“Many focus on their study plans with an eye on life after the pandemic.”
“They installed a piano above the cooker and the hob!”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE A NEW INVESTMENT SERIES
Episode One: How to Perfectly Invest £10,000 | The Best Stocks | Property | Gold & Classic Cars
Watch Live On The Progressive Property YouTube Channel Every Monday At 7 PM Tiny.cc/PPTV
Listen To Audio Recordings On The Money Podcast bit.ly/moneypodcastitunes
ABOUT THE HOST
Kevin McDonnell is a Speaker, Author, Mentor & Professional Property Investor. He is an expert when it comes to creative property investment strategies. His book No Money Down: Property Invest talks about how to control and cash flow other people’s property to create financial freedom.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.