Manage episode 272952475 series 2795145
Our first episode, in which we introduce ourselves and tell you what Missing Figures is all about!
I’m Sheri Reynard and I’m joined by co-host Cynthia Wright. Welcome to Missing Figures, a discussion about stories of power, perseverance, and possibility that should be common knowledge.
Who is a Missing Figure?
- A person that has made great achievements in the face of great historical, structural, and social odds but has remained largely unknown.
- They are the positive, inspirational stories we have been robbed of!
Why might you care?
- There is power in storytelling and representation
- Hidden Figures turns into Missing Figures
- Counter Black/Minority Storytelling that is solely rooted in tragedy and struggle
- Broaden the collective idea of the spaces BIPOC “belong”
- Broaden the collective story of BIPOC contributions to the United States and the world at large
- Hope! To help BIPOC reframe what they want and can do in this world while everyone else is catching up. The people we feature had even more concrete obstacles in their way!
Who are we going to talk about first?
- Black women mostly! But the world is our oyster, so we will be covering every type of missing figure possible.
What will we say about them?
- When they lived and died,
- What they are known for,
- Who is most readily known for doing the same thing?
- What level did they reach?
- What societal and formal/structural obstacles were in their way?
- What did they do to go around or through these?
- What heights did they reach?
- How did they end up?
- How many people of similar backgrounds have managed to do what they did?
- What memorials exist to their achievements?
We hope you join us on this adventure. If you have someone you would like to nominate, let us know!
Please share, rate us and sign up for our mailing list!!