Manage episode 322779801 series 2771825
When I started freelancing in 2009 I was charging $10 an hour. I didn’t know any better and I didn’t have any mentors to advise me.
I’m not proud of that wage, but over time things changed. Now I’m charging my worth while I work with the clients I love. In this episode I’ll tell you how I went from an underpaid VA to a digital unicorn, and how you can avoid that same pitfall.
I started working online after leaving my dream job and having my first child. We moved a lot due to my husband’s military career, and I knew I needed something that I could do from home and take with me.
I started working with a small business owner, remotely helping them with their presence online. I enjoyed the work and started taking on more clients. I became that accidental freelancer who realizes, this is a real job that can pay well.
Since I didn’t have anyone to ask questions or guide me, I just figured it out along the way…hence the low beginning prices. I’m not gonna lie. It was tough at first. If I had had someone whispering in my ear, “do it this way, Emily,” I would have raised my prices long, long ago as my confidence and skillset grew.
But that’s okay. The whole experience got me to where I’m today. And now I’m sharing what steps you’ll want to take to avoid my mistakes. I want you armed with the knowledge so you can have a profitable business much sooner.
Chelsea Brennan’s video I mention in this podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWCq3kuwa84
Connect with Emily:
- Facebook Community: Emily’s Unicorn Digital Marketing Assistant Lab
- Instagram: @emilyreaganpr
- Facebook: @emilyreaganpr
3 ways we can work together:
- Get on the waitlist for the Unicorn Digital Marketing Assistant School. My signature course on digital marketing implementation will give you the confidence and teach you HOW to do the work that’s in demand and highly marketable. This is the secret weapon to getting booked out
- Got the skills but need help getting your digital marketing services business to take off? I’ve got an advanced tight-knit referral and networking community that can help and I would love for you to apply here. You’ll get the latest updates and trainings, networking opps and job leads from online business owners who are looking to hire digital marketing implementers and assistants.
- Looking for a fast way to get your foot in the door with up-to-date skills? Take my 2-hour Quickstart to Facebook Community Management workshop and learn how to help online business owners like course creators and membership site owners manage and engage their community