20 Product: Shreyas Doshi on The Three Different Types of Product Leaders and How To Hire Them, The 6 Different Product Metrics You Need To Know and What Good is For Each of Them & Table Stakes Features vs Wow Features; What To Prioritise
Manage episode 336572052 series 73567
Shreyas Doshi is an investor, advisor, and all-around product OG. Most recently Shreyas spent over 5 years at Stripe where he was Stripe's first PM Manager and helped define and grow the Product Management function (from ~5 to more than 50 people). Before Stripe, Shreyas was a Director of Product Management @ Twitter and prior to Twitter spent over 6 years as a Group Product Manager @ Google. Today Shreyas has invested and advises some of the best including advising Airtable, Kalshi, Lendflow, to name a few.
In Today's Episode with Shreyas Doshi:
1.) Entry into Product:
- How did Shreyas make his way into the world of product and product management?
- Why did Shreyas decide not to do business school when it was the conventional route for everyone going into product management?
- What were some of Shreyas' biggest takeaways from his time at Stripe and Google? How did they impact his product mind today?
2.) Product Management 101:
- How does Shreyas define product management today? How do many confuse it?
- How does Shreyas define product success today? What is the single biggest mistake Shreyas sees founders make when determining the success/PMF of their product?
- Does Shreyas believe that great product management is science or art? Data or intuition? When should you listen to customers? When should you not?
3.) Metrics 101 & How To Use Them:
- What is the single biggest mistake Shreyas sees founders make when it comes to selecting their North Star metric?
- How should founders think about input vs output metrics? What is the difference between the two?
- What are the 6 types of metrics that all founders and product teams need to focus on? How does their importance change over time?
- How should the responsibility for these metrics be split between different people and teams?
4.) Three Types of Product Leader:
- What are the three different types of product leaders?
- The Craftsperson: What is their core strength? What is their core weakness? How do they interact with the rest of the team and company?
- The Operator: What is their core strength? What is their core weakness? How do they interact with the rest of the team and company?
- The Visionary: What is their core strength? What is their core weakness? How do they interact with the rest of the team and company?