Manage episode 283829824 series 1312787
On the latest edition of The Reason Roundtable, Matt Welch steers Katherine Mangu-Ward, Peter Suderman, and Nick Gillespie through School Choice Week reflections, the latest COVID-19 chaos, and Wall Street Bets.
Discussed in the show:
1:29 Reason didn't have to try hard to find stories highlighting National School Choice week.
21:27 Is being mistaken for a Trump supporter worth keeping schools closed?
23:42 A pulse check on the nation's reception of Gov. Cuomo.
29:01 Weekly Listener Question: Will it take a disaster for libertarian ideals to hold?
37:53 The federal response to Wall Street Bets: What should we worry about?
56:24 Media recommendations for the week.
This week's links:
- "San Francisco School Board Votes 6-1 To Rename 44 Schools," by Robby Soave
- "In 2020, Teachers Unions and Police Unions Showed Their True Colors," by Peter Suderman
- "What Are the Prospects for School Choice Gains in 14 States?" by Sonny Mazzone
- "The Fake Argument that School Choice Is Racist," by Nick Gillespie (video)
- "Thanks to Teachers Unions, Families are Fleeing Traditional Public Schools," by Nick Gillespie and Corey A. DeAngelis (video)
- "I Want to Meet My Teacher," by Andrew Rice
- "'Incompetent Government Kills People,' Says Andrew Cuomo Unironically," by Billy Binion
- "Don't Freak Out About GameStop," by Jennifer Schulp
- Get an up-close look at the history of the Constitution with the Institute for Justice's new podcast, Bound by Oath. Available wherever you check out podcasts.
- If you feel something interfering with your happiness or holding you back from your goals, BetterHelp is an accessible and affordable source for professional counseling. BetterHelp assesses your needs and matches you with a licensed therapist you can start talking to in under 24 hours, all online.
Audio production by Ian Keyser.
Assistant production by Regan Taylor.
Music: "Angeline," by The Brothers Steve.