Manage episode 291085257 series 2872039
Making a successful transition from juniors to the pros is something a lot of tennis players struggle with. One of the keys to succeed in this transition is to have the right team to help you reach your goals. Vlado Platenik, a former tennis player from Slovakia has been a very successful coach who over the 20 years he spent coaching on tour, he took 4 players from the ITF circuit to top 20 WTA and many more from top 400 to top 50.
Some of the players Vlado coached are: Dominika Cibulkova, Daria Kasatkina, Anjla Tomjlanovic, Henrietta Nagyova, Nadia Petrova and many more. Few months ago, he joined the team of Veronika Kudermetova as a tennis consultant with already great success as she won her first WTA title in Charleston and is ranked 28 at the WTA, her highest ranking so far. In a very candid conversation, Vlado shared a lot of wisdom about the ups and downs of the life on tour. You will learn:
1) How to join an already existing team as a tennis consultant? From 2'40 to 4'58
2) What was Vlado's biggest challenge as a coach during the pandemic and how he used the cover crisis to help his players improve? From 5' to 8'09
3) What are the strategies Vlado used over the years with his players to achieve a successful transition from the juniors to the pros? From 8'10 to 13'03
4) How Vlado's personal story as a tennis player got him into coaching? From 13'04 to 20'13
5) How do you implement mental training into your coaching of young tennis players? Vlado explains how he used these techniques with Cibulkova and Kasatskina From 20'14 to 23'56
6) The importance of communication with the entourage of the player and what are the consequences when difficulties between the coach and the player's family arise? From 24 to 32'
7) What are some of the money strategies players can use when they start on tour with limited funds? From 34'28 to 39'53
8) As a coach, how to remain honest with your players? From 39'55 to 45'40
9) What is the biggest quality successful tennis players share? From 45'45 to 47'23
10) How is the covid crisis changing the dynamic between the more experienced and upcoming players on tour? From 47'24 to 50'47
11) Vlado's advice to junior players starting on tour: from 50'48 to 57'49
12) What are some of the values Vlado teaches his players on and off the court? From 57'50 to end
If you would like to get in touch with Vlado Platenik and learn more about the services he's offering as a tennis consultant, you can email him or visit his website:
Don't hesitate to subscribe and follow The Players' Lounge podcast on Instagram @theplayersloungepodcast and Facebook!