E6: Beyond the Billable Hour - John Chisholm, Former CEO of Maddox, Middletons and Co-Founder of Innovim Group
Manage episode 272710541 series 2793088
Is there a better way to run law firms? How can we deliver more value to our clients without being trapped by timekeeping? How can we create happier clients and more profitable firms?
These are some of the questions that John Chisholm, a former lawyer and leader of law firms, has been working on for the last decade and a half. John has consulted with some of Australia's most innovative law firms and authored thought-leadership about pricing that has changed the way many firms operate.
In this episode of the Leading Lawyer Project we cover:
- John's journey from the son of a lawyer to Managing Partner of a law firm;
- The differences between lawyers of the '70s, '80s, 90s and now;
- Becoming a leader of lawyers vs being a lawyer;
- The key skillsets for managing lawyers (hint - it's not an MBA);
- Leaving the law...and returning;
- Importing ideas from other organizations and industries into law firms;
- The ethics of the billable hour;
- Inefficiencies in hourly billing;
- OldLaw and NewLaw
- The most inspiring NewLaw leaders;
- What young lawyers can do to contribute to the future of law.
You can find more about John here:
- I'd love if you could leave a review and a rating wherever you listen to your podcasts! It makes a huge difference and helps people find the show.
- Subscribe to The Leading Lawyer Project on iTunes
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Have an idea for the podcast, a guest you'd love to hear from, or an idea for me to explore? Drop me a line here: email@example.com