Manage episode 306748442 series 1412085
WE APPRECIATE OUR PARTNERS. CHECK THEM OUT!
High-Performance Leadership: https://www.humanpotentialinstitute.com/coach-training/
Ozone for Healing, Cognition & Performance: http://www.drsozone.com/asprey, use code UPGRADED10 to save 10% on Dave’s Bulletproof Bundle
Eat Good Keto Bread: https://www.uprisingfood.com/DAVE, use code DAVE to get $10 off the starter bundle. That includes two superfood cubes and a four pack of freedom chips!
A SPECIAL OFFER FOR LISTENERS OF THE HUMAN UPGRADE™
Go to www.myessentia.com/daveasprey. Use promo code DAVEVIP for a special discount.
IN THIS EPISODE OF THE HUMAN UPGRADE™…
…you’re going to learn how to revamp your sleeping environment and get awesome sleep.
If you aren’t hacking, tracking, and prioritizing your sleep, it’s time to start.
Sleep is a pillar of high performance that affects pretty much everything you do. If you want to perform at your best, you have to get deep, restorative sleep. You know that, but are you doing it?
I’ve interviewed many sleep experts on my podcast. (Psst… I even created a 14-Day Sleep Challenge that teaches you how to hack your sleep.)
This interview, however, is a bit different. I’ve invited a new kind of sleep expert on the show.
Jack Dell’Accio spent the past 16 years studying mattresses. He set out to hack every aspect of mattresses, from pressure relief to posture support to toxin-free materials.
You know that plastic, chemical smell that fills your bedroom when you get a new mattress? That’s caused by off-gassing—a combination of volatile chemicals that turn into gas and fill the air in your bedroom as you break in your mattress. Research has found that many off-gassing chemicals are respiratory irritants and can cause you to develop chemical sensitivities[*][*]. They’re nasty compounds and you don’t want to spend eight hours a night breathing them in.
That’s where Jack comes in.
After years of research, Jack created a new type of memory foam – a natural rubber latex-based foam – that provides support and pressure relief, without the off-gassing irritants that you find in old school memory foam.
Jack founded Essentia, the first mattress company that uses materials that are good for your body, your health, and your environment. It’s a major upgrade over memory foam, both in terms of sleeping experience and chemical content.
Essentia manufactures its mattresses and sleep products in its own GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard) and GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) certified organic factory. These are the two most important certifications when it comes to organic mattresses and organic mattress manufacturing. They’ve also had their mattresses tested by experts at Johns Hopkins.
In today’s episode, you’re going to learn the science behind building a better mattress, and why upgrading your mattress will improve almost every aspect of your body and brain. Jack and I also cover:
- The many chemicals hiding in cheap mattresses
- Why, thanks to a backwards California law, most mattresses contain several pounds of flame retardant chemicals (and how Essentia makes their mattresses without those chemicals.)
- Why 25% of NHL players use Essentia mattresses
- The connection between cheap mattresses and chemical sensitivities
- How Essentia created a proprietary EMF barrier foam formula
- How a high-quality mattress makes your brain work better
A sleep surface has to have six key elements to establish a sleep environment that regenerates the body during sleep. Essentia mattresses score at the top of all six. Here’s what to look for:
- Temperature Control (natural thermoregulation/ active cooling)
- Allergy Friendly (allergen-friendly materials)
- Accelerated Recovery (support and pressure redistribution)
- Optimized Sleep (adaptive accelerated response to reduce movement interruptions)
- Organically Clean (clean, non-toxic materials & an organic mineral formula that drives EMF patterns)
- Proper Posture (eliminates negative space to properly support the back)
The mattress you sleep on matters just as much as all the other high-performance lifestyle choices you make. In this episode, you’re going to learn the science behind building a better mattress and why so many professional athletes choose Essentia.