Manage episode 343114638 series 3392729
Back by popular demand, this is a throwback to one of our most loved episodes. Enjoy!
With autonomous vehicles, the goal is to get to a point when they can give us a “boring” or uneventful ride.
And you may be thinking, “Well, that’s not exciting at all!”
But, it’s safe and trustworthy enough for you as a rider to shift your focus from the fact that there is no driver. After all, it’s only after you feel safe that you can fully relax and enjoy the ride as well as all the amenities that come with the vehicle.
AV companies are tackling this challenge head-on by borrowing safety approaches from the aviation industry as well as innovating new strategies.
In this episode, the first part out of two, Ed Bernardon interviews Mark R. Rosekind, Chief Safety Innovation Officer at Zoox, Inc. He’ll help understand the challenges of building an autonomous electric vehicle and the progress they’ve made so far. He’ll also share with us the steps that the automotive industry can take to increase people’s safety on the road.
Some Questions I Ask:
- What do you consider while designing your vehicle? (10:03)
- How do you create “a journey to enjoy”? (11:07)
- How do you know that you’re safe enough? (20:01)
- What does “a safe system approach” mean? (22:25)
- Are you doing anything special to enhance communication with first responders in case of an accident? (29:37)
What You’ll Learn in this Episode:
- The history of Zoox (02:30)
- The difference between proactive and reactive safety (13:29)
- The difference between how the aviation and automotive industries approach safety (15:45)
- How the Zoox vehicle will communicate with people around it (23:26)
- What it takes to gain people’s trust (33:00)
Connect with Mark R. Rosekind:
Connect with Ed Bernardon:
- Future Car: Driving a Lifestyle Revolution
- Motorsports is speeding the way to safer urban mobility
- Siemens Digital Industries Software
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.