Manage episode 269934441 series 2312028
There are so many myths when it comes to nutrition and health. One of the most prominent, that is still being supported by our government policies today, is that we need three servings of dairy a day to get enough calcium and achieve optimal wellness. We now have plenty of research to show us this just isn’t the case. Not to mention, upwards of 65% of the world’s population are lactose intolerant after infancy! Cow’s milk is not nature’s perfect food for human adults, despite what the lobbying efforts of the dairy industry say. On this episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy, I was excited to sit down with Dr. David Ludwig, whose research I’ve followed for the past 20 years and has helped shape the way I practice medicine.
David S. Ludwig, MD, PhD is an endocrinologist and researcher at Boston Children’s Hospital. He holds the rank of Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and Professor of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Ludwig is co-director of the New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center and founder of the Optimal Weight for Life program, one of the country’s oldest and largest clinics for the care of overweight children. For more than 25 years, Dr. Ludwig has studied the effects of dietary composition on metabolism, body weight, and risk for chronic disease. Described as an “obesity warrior” by Time Magazine, Dr. Ludwig has fought for fundamental policy changes to improve the food environment. He has been a Principal Investigator on numerous grants from the National Institutes of Health and philanthropic organizations and has published over 200 scientific articles. Dr. Ludwig was a Contributing Writer at JAMA for 10 years and presently serves as an editor for The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and The BMJ. He has written 3 books for the general public, including the #1 New York Times bestseller Always, Hungry? Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells, and Lose Weight Permanently.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market and Tushy.
Right now, Thrive is offering all Doctor's Farmacy listeners an amazing deal. Select a free gift from Thrive Market when you sign up for a 1 year membership. And, any time you spend more than $49 you’ll get free carbon-neutral shipping. Just head over to thrivemarket.com/Hyman.
The Tushy bidet is a sleek attachment that clips onto your existing toilet and connects to the water supply behind your toilet to spray you with clean, fresh water. And it’s really affordable, starting at only $79. Right now Tushy is offering Doctor’s Farmacy listeners 10% off, too, so it’s a better time than ever to make the switch to a bidet. Just go to hellotushy.com/HYMAN.
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- Examining the potential impact of people following the US dietary guidelines for drinking milk, and how these guidelines originated (10:59)
- Debunking the “Got Milk?” campaign (14:40)
- The importance of considering the impact of milk in the context of its interaction with overall diet quality (17:19)
- Do you really need to drink milk to get enough calcium, and for healthy bones? (19:54)
- How industrial agriculture results in higher amounts of naturally occurring hormones in milk (30:13)
- The misguided school lunch requirements for milk (34:35)
- Whole milk vs skim milk (36:40)
- Butter and saturated fat from dairy (40:02)
- How is the quality of the dairy we consume today different than it was 100 years ago? (49:43)
- Summary of Dr. Ludwig’s findings on dairy consumption (58:38)
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.