Manage episode 268423064 series 2312028
We’re living in an age where it’s increasingly hard to avoid exposure to toxins. Some of the most ubiquitous are right on our food, on some of the most commonly eaten items in the American diet. It’s no wonder that illnesses related to toxicity, like cancer, infertility, and neurological diseases, are on the rise. The most widely used pesticide in our food supply is glyphosate. It’s used all over the world on more than 70 different food crops, including corn, soy, and wheat and is linked to some serious health risks, including non-Hodgkin lymphoma. It’s terrifying to consider that a bowl of Cheerios has more glyphosate per serving than vitamins D and B12, both of which are added to try to boost nutritional value.
We need to change our food system if we want to change our health, and it’s issues like these that need our help. I was so happy to sit down with my good friend Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to dig into the topic of glyphosate and corruption in the agricultural industry. Bobby Kennedy serves as President of Waterkeeper Alliance, Chairman of the Board and Chief Legal Counsel for Children’s Health Defense, and of counsel to Morgan & Morgan, a nationwide personal injury practice. He was previously Chief Prosecuting Attorney for the Hudson Riverkeeper, Senior Attorney for the Natural Resources Defense Council, and a Clinical Professor and Supervising Attorney at Pace University School of Law’s Environmental Litigation Clinic.
This episode is brought to you by Tushy and ButcherBox.
The Tushy bidet is a sleek attachment that clips onto your existing toilet and connects to the water supply behind your toilet to spray you with clean, fresh water. And it’s really affordable, starting at only $79. Right now Tushy is offering Doctor’s Farmacy listeners 10% off, too, so it’s a better time than ever to make the switch to a bidet. Just go to hellotushy.com/HYMAN.
ButcherBox makes it super easy to get humanely raised meat that you can trust delivered right to your doorstep. ButcherBox has everything you could want - like 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef and wild Alaskan salmon - and shipping is always free. Visit ButcherBox.com/farmacy
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- How glyphosate is used, its prevalence, any why it’s so bad for us (6:03)
- Monsanto, Rachel Carson, and the chemical industry’s efforts to quash dissent of its products (9:01)
- Monsanto’s introduction of Roundup ready corn and patented seeds (18:25)
- The incidence of spraying Roundup on crops at time of harvest and how that coincides with the rise of gluten allergies, celiac disease, and other illnesses (21:59)
- How the Daubert standard kept a legal suit from being filed against Monsanto until 2015 (23:53)
- Dewayne Johnson v. Monsanto Company, the first case brought against Monsanto for toxic effects of Roundup (32:11)
- Glyphosate’s toxic effects on the human and soil microbiome (41:33)
- The Environmental Protection Agency’s relationship and support of Monsanto (44:12)
- Halting the freefall of our democracy into plutocracy (55:15)
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.