Manage episode 271008320 series 2312028
The vast majority of today’s health problems are rooted in our busy, modern lifestyles. So many people say they don’t have time for the gym, to overhaul their diet, to spend the quality time they want to with their loved ones—our wellbeing often gets added to a to-do list.
Trying to implement healthy lifestyle changes can be overwhelming for many people, but my guest on today’s podcast says that all it takes is 5 minutes a day to make a real difference in your health.
Dr. Rangan Chatterjee is regarded as one of the most influential medical doctors in the UK and hosts the most listened to health podcast in the UK and Europe, ‘Feel Better, Live More’. His first three books have all been #1 Sunday Times Bestsellers and his latest, Feel Better in 5, shows people how to transform their health in just 5 minutes. It has been a smash hit in the UK, selling almost 100,000 copies in just 7 months, and has just been published in the United States. Professor BJ Fogg, the world’s leading expert in human behavior, calls this book, one of the best habit change programs he has seen—deceptively simple but remarkably effective.” Dr. Chatterjee regularly appears on BBC News and Television and has been featured in numerous international publications including The New York Times, Forbes, The Guardian and Vogue, and his TED talk, How To Make Disease Disappear, has been viewed almost 3 million times.
All of us have made short-term changes before, but how do you get them to last? Dr. Chatterjee shares his plan, Feel Better in 5, which is based on three easy practices, which he calls, “health snacks.” Each one takes no more than 5 minutes to complete—short enough to be able to fit into your busy day, yet long enough to ensure you gain real benefits.
This episode is brought to you by Thrive Market and Joovv.
Right now, Thrive is offering all Doctor's Farmacy listeners an amazing deal. Select a free gift from Thrive Market when you sign up for a 1 year membership. And, any time you spend more than $49 you’ll get free carbon-neutral shipping. Just head over to thrivemarket.com/Hyman.
Our mitochondria get weaker and less abundant as we get older, plus lots of things in our lives like stress, bad food, and toxins damage them over time. But a modality called red light therapy helps me support healthier mitochondria and fight inflammation—I use Joovv red light therapy devices to do this at home. If you want to check out Joovv’s various red light therapy devices for yourself just head over to joovv.com/farmacy.
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- Inspiration and knowledge doesn’t necessarily lead to application (8:40)
- BJ Fogg and the science of behavior change (11:52)
- How Dr. Chatterjee worked with a patient to establish a consistent exercise routine (16:50)
- The power of attaching a new, easy behavior to an existing habit (22:56)
- Why experiencing success is key to lasting behavior change (28:15)
- The relationship between eating behavior and stress (32:09)
- “Health snacks” for your mental health and emotional heart health (34:16)
- Why we should luxuriate in the feelings we get from our positive behaviors (53:01)
- Establishing habits for low motivation (58:23)
- Dr. Chatterjee’s personal daily “health snack” practices (1:07:55)
- Why these practices can be especially impactful for caretakers (1:11:24)
Get Dr. Chatterjee’s Feel Better in 5 Success Chart at drchatterjee.com/chart
Follow Dr. Chatterjee on Facebook @DrChatterjee, on Instagram @DrChatterjee, and on Twitter @drchatterjeeuk
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.