Manage episode 271511135 series 2312028
Never before have so many people been so dissatisfied—or so preoccupied with chasing “happiness.” Our culture and media feed us images and concepts about who and what we should be, while holding up models of what accomplishment and success should look like. We seek more and more, in a circuit that leads to frustration, disillusion, dissatisfaction, unhappiness, and exhaustion.
On this episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy, I was excited to chat with Jay Shetty about how to uncover your true passion and purpose, stop living based on other people’s opinions, and start living a life that is true to you. Jay Shetty is a storyteller, podcaster, and former monk. Jay’s vision is to Make Wisdom Go Viral. He is on a mission to share the timeless wisdom of the world in an accessible, relevant, and practical way. Jay has created over 400 viral videos with over 7.5 billion views, and hosts the #1 Health and Wellness podcast in the world, On Purpose.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox and Four Sigmatic.
For a limited time, new subscribers to ButcherBox will receive 2 lbs of 100% grass-fed, grass finished beef free in every box for the life of your subscription. To this limited time offer, go to ButcherBox.com/farmacy.
Four Sigmatic is now providing an exclusive offer for Doctor’s Farmacy listeners. Receive up to 39% off on their best selling Lion’s Mane Coffee bundles. To get this deal, just go to foursigmatic.com/hyman.
Here are more of the details from our interview:
- The event that inspired Jay to become a monk (7:02)
- Jay’s realization that he was ultimately not meant to be a monk, and his transition back to non-monastic life (17:07)
- Understanding your mind, and how it creates happiness or dissatisfaction (22:26)
- The difference between loneliness and solitude (28:07)
- Questions to ask yourself to start living a life true to yourself (31:32)
- Discovering and protecting your purpose (39:11)
- What Jay’s monk training taught him about facing rejection (42:17)
- Engaging pain help heal yourself and others (52:38)
- Finding calm in chaos (1:03:30)
- Applying monk qualities to our relationships with others (1:07:29)
Get Jay’s book, Think Like a Monk at https://thinklikeamonkbook.com/.
Listen to Jay’s podcast, On Purpose at https://jayshetty.me/podcast/.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.