Manage episode 299179071 series 2868841
Ari Wagner, Chief Operating Officer for Greater Oregon Behavioral Health, Inc (GOBHI) and the Director of Operations which is the department that The Center is under. Ari discusses:
- Why scaring, educating, and exercising someone out of crime doesn’t work;
- Exposure to childhood trauma as a risk factor for engagement in the criminal justice system and the importance of one stable and supportive adult in a child’s life as a protective factor;
- Juvenile SIM work at The Center;
- The importance of looking at the data and asking questions around over representation in the juvenile justice system, so changes can be made; and
- Ari’s book about the juvenile justice system, “Dispatches from Juvenile Hall: Fixing a Failing System” under the name Linda Wagner.
For more information about the intersection between criminal justice and behavioral health in Oregon, please reach out to us through our website at http://www.ocbhji.org/podcast and Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/OCBHJI/. We’d love to hear from you.
For more information about “Dispatches from Juvenile Hall: Fixing a Failing System” by John Aarons, Lisa Smith, and Linda Wagner: