Manage episode 290541404 series 2296146
By: Brian Chilton and Curtis Evelo | April 21, 2021
Viewpoints surrounding God and creation are among the most contentious and divisive of all theological perspectives. Since the Scope’s Monkey Trial of Dayton, Tennessee, creation and evolutionist studies have been a hotbed of controversy. Yet many have not taken the time to examine the kaleidoscope of viewpoints pertaining to origin studies. On this episode of the Bellator Christi Podcast, Brian and Curtis dissect eight viewpoints relating to origins and creation without advocating for any position. They discuss the following questions:
- What are the eight viewpoints of creation?
- Young Earth Creationism (YEC)
- Gap Theory
- Old Earth Creationism (OEC)/Day-Age Theory
- Progressive Creationism
- Theistic Evolution
- Naturalistic Evolution
- Do only Christians hold to the YEC view?
- What views of creation did the Patristic Fathers hold?
- How does OEC explain the tenets of Genesis?
- Is the OEC view only found in Christianity?
- Is progressive creationism more of an academic viewpoint?
- Does theistic evolution reduce God’s omnipotence and omnipresence?
- How is panspermia even possible?
- Can a Christian hold to naturalistic evolution?
- At what point do these views leave a biblical understanding of creation?
- How can our understanding of these views help us minister to the culture? Is it important to know where we stand to believe in Jesus or the gospel?
Brian Chilton: Founder of Bellator Christi Ministries
Brian G. Chilton is the founder of BellatorChristi.com, the host of The Bellator Christi Podcast, the author of the Layman’s Manual on Christian Apologetics, and is a Ph.D. Candidate in the Theology and Apologetics program at Liberty University. He received his Master of Divinity in Theology from Liberty University (with high distinction); his Bachelor of Science in Religious Studies and Philosophy from Gardner-Webb University (with honors); and received certification in Christian Apologetics from Biola University. Brian is a member of the Evangelical Theological Society and the Evangelical Philosophical Society. Brian has nearly 20 years of pastoral experience and currently serves as a clinical chaplain.
Curtis Evelo: Co-host and Producer of the Bellator Christi Podcast
Curtis Evelo is a cattle rancher at the E6 Hereford Ranch in St. Ignatius, Montana. Curtis is the co-host and producer of the Bellator Christi Podcast. He often teaches and speaks at his church Cornerstone Faith Center in St. Ignatius. Curtis provides a common-sense approach to Christianity as he contemplates the wonders of God’s creation in Big Sky Country.
Copyright 2021. BellatorChristi.com.