Manage episode 282465387 series 2344129
A lot has happened this week. Jonny made some delicious white chocolate and cranberry cookies and went on a wintery hike in the hills. Trump got banned from Twitter, and everywhere else, oh – and there was a deadly attempted coup in the United States. Yep. It’s been a week.
Technology and the role it plays in society has perhaps never been under more scrutiny than it is now. We’ve been banging on about Tech for Good for years on this podcast, and as you know, regularly drift into discussing the dangers of technology. How close did technology come to bringing down a republic that has stood for 243 years? Let’s find out in this special ‘WTF America?’ special!
Discussed in the show:
Stat of the week
Charity news of the week:
Positive news - Georgia win was due in no small art to digital organizing + local leadership - the honing of new model of virtual organizing over the last 12 months - potential hope for the future
Tech news of the week:
This week we finally discovered what it takes to get Trump off social media. Just a coup attempt (or is it that the rats are jumping from a sinking ship?)
Social media backlash:
- Donald Trump suspended from Facebook indefinitely, says Mark Zuckerberg - Guardian
- Twitter permanently suspends @TeamTrump after string of Trump tweets - Mashable
- Twitch disables Trump’s account indefinitely - Twitch
- Will Oremus thread - Twitter
- Not Easy, Not Unreasonable, Not Censorship: The Decision To Ban Trump From Twitter - TechDirt
- Amazon, Apple and Google Cut Off Parler, an App That Drew Trump Supporters - NY Times
- Google suspends Parler social network app over incitement to violence - Guardian
- Amazon Employees For Climate Justice thread - Twitter
Listeners, what did you think? We’d love to hear your thoughts.
Get in touch on twitter @techforgoodlive or Email at email@example.com
We’d love it if you gave us a nice iTunes review and told your pals about this podcast!
Thanks to podcast.co for hosting our podcast.
If you’d like to be thanked on the podcast for giving us some cash, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. I promise we’ll spend it on transcription and not on kittens