Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on November 30, 2023 00:13 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 375479954 series 1536471
For our second host-answer episode for our Songwriting Challenge 2023, Phil shared the process behind his answer to the challenge to write a song in the Lydian mode. Our good friend Susan Cattaneo joined in.
We talked about:
- How Phil experimented with various scales before landing on Lydian for his song
- How working in Lydian gave Phil a “back foot” transition into his chorus, which is usually more of a jump
- Using a pedal point bass in the verses
- Leaning into the intervals that define the identity of the mode
- Using different line lengths in your verses
- Playing around with the point-of-view in your song as a way to engage your listener
- The episode on writer’s block we did with Susan