Manage episode 363367081 series 3434844
Let us entertain you with a deep dive into gladiators and Roman games! Sara, Luke, and Sam talk good and bad emperors, sexy gladiators, combat to the death, and the Teflon quality of the Oscar-winning film Gladiator.
- Commodus as Hercules - The famous bust of Commodus in the guise of Hercules, with symbolism that portrays Commodus as having conquered the world. (Wikimedia Commons)
- Pliny's Epistulae: The Latin Library - For the adventurous listener interested in the Latin of Pliny's letters, the letter that Sara quotes is #6 on this page.
- Pliny the Younger's Letters - You can find Pliny's disparaging comments about the games in Epistle 9.6.
- Marcus Aurelius' Meditations - An English translation of the emperor Marcus Aurelius' private journal.
- Water organ - Enjoy some Roman music! This water organ was reconstructed from metal parts found at an archaeological dig near Budapest.