Manage episode 280351879 series 2342628
A new warning has been given to landlords this week in regards to cowboy builders exploiting the “Green Homes” government grant. Law firms in Sheffield saw an increase in negligence claims for a previous, similar scheme and warned it could happen again due to the short 6-month time frame given. A tenant has been found guilty of murdering their landlord this week in Coventry. This incident should serve as a reminder for landlords all around the country to ensure they are always safe when viewing properties. Host Kevin McDonnel also brings you the latest weekly updates from the Progressive Property community.
Weekly Property News
- Warning over cowboy builders exploiting the ‘Green Homes Grant.” Landlords thinking about taking advantage of the government's new “Green Homes Grant'' are being warned of a surge in cowboy building works. Sheffield based SSB Law has seen an influx in breach of contract and negligence claims as a result of a previous government scheme.
- The firm now believes that due to a short 6-month time frame the new scheme could see tradesmen cashing in. The six-month time frame is not long enough and is putting both landlords and building firms under pressure. This means the likelihood of substandard work will increase.
- Under the government's new “Green Homes Grant'' which launched last month, landlords and occupiers in England can apply for grants of up to ten thousand pounds to make their homes more energy-efficient. This includes the fitting of cavity walls, loft insulation and solar panels.
- Havering council has agreed to do an extension in its landlord licensing scheme. It currently covers twelve awards and will be rolled out to a further six. Councillors have also agreed to an introduction of a selective licence scheme to cover single-family properties in Romford Town and Brooklands Wards only. This scheme will come into place in January 2021 and will operate for five years.
- As a landlord, you are always taking risks when visiting the property. If you’re a landlord or agent and are planning to visit one of your properties, always ensure that somebody knows where you are visiting and ideally bring someone else with you.
Progressive Property Community News & Discussions
- Each property is different and you are bound to see properties with a lot of different layouts.
- The benefit of renovating old buildings is that you can add some TLC into them, especially cowsheds.
“If you weren’t aware of it, get in and look at the opportunity of what can be done on your property.”
“That is certainly something you should be doing in case you get into a conflict.”
“Visiting properties can be risky.”
SUBSCRIBE TO THE A NEW INVESTMENT SERIES
Episode One: How to Perfectly Invest £10,000 | The Best Stocks | Property | Gold & Classic Cars
Watch Live On The Progressive Property YouTube Channel Every Monday At 7 PM Tiny.cc/PPTV
Listen To Audio Recordings On The Money Podcast bit.ly/moneypodcastitunes
ABOUT THE HOST
Kevin McDonnell is a Speaker, Author, Mentor & Professional Property Investor. He is an expert when it comes to creative property investment strategies. His book No Money Down: Property Invest talks about how to control and cash flow other people’s property to create financial freedom.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.