Manage episode 279220563 series 2342628
Have you ever made a mistake in business or in life and wondered how you will ever overcome it? Well, listen in to today's episode as Rob is joined by Gerald Ratner, former CEO of one of the most previously successful jewellery companies in the UK whose infamous speech ruined both his and his company's reputation. Together they discuss how to overcome mistakes, why facing your demons is sometimes easier than avoiding them and why you must learn that you cannot please everybody.
New Book Launch - 3rd December 2020
‘Reinvent Yourself’ With Gerald Ratner
- Good and bad, nobody can believe what sometimes happens in business, and in life. Previous mistakes you have made in both your personal and professional life have made you what you are today, and you are probably a happier person because of it.
- If you’re having to reinvent yourself because your business has dissolved or you have lost your job, you can’t afford to lose a lot of money again. Avoid taking risks that you cannot afford to make.
- You sometimes need somebody to push you in the right direction. This can help you realise that facing your demons is a lot easier than avoiding them. You cannot keep avoiding things that you don't want to do. You have got to find the guts to go out there and confront your issues. When you do this, they are not as difficult to face as you may think they are.
- There is nothing worse than being a failure and there is nothing better than being successful. We are put on this earth to work, challenge things and to compete against others. In business, you get the best brains. Successful business people do not spend their time trying to convince people they are brilliant, they just get on with things.
- Try to get into a business that is unfashionable. You cannot please everybody, everybody has got different needs. Don’t try to be loved by everybody and try to persuade them that you are doing the right thing, if you believe something just get on and do it. If you start trying to get permission and opinions of others you will not get the right advice.
“I appreciate things now, after losing everything.”
“It was a wonderful feeling when I actually got out there. Although I didn't want to, I was forced out there.
“Get up, dust yourself off and start all over again.”
The Rise & Fall & Rise Again - Gerald Ratner
ABOUT THE GUEST
Gerald Ratner is a British businessman and motivational speaker. He was formerly a chief executive officer of the major British jewellery company Ratners Group. He achieved notoriety after making a speech in which he jokingly denigrated two of the company's products. He currently speaks around the world at corporate and promotional events.
ABOUT THE HOST
Kevin McDonnell is a Speaker, Author, Mentor & Professional Property Investor. He is an expert when it comes to creative property investment strategies. His book No Money Down: Property Invest talks about how to control and cash flow other people’s property to create financial freedom.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.