Manage episode 276224765 series 1453382
In 2018, Collin Martin came out as gay. At the time, he was the only ‘out’ man in any of the big five American sport leagues or any top division professional men’s national soccer leagues.
Collin shares how Cary Umhau, a speaker, writer, and consultant, was influential in his coming out process.
- Faith Forms Identity: Gay or not, God completely loves you
- Every Sunday, Different Church: Growing, learning, and realizing you’re gay
- Inner Struggle: What to do with knowledge in an unwelcoming environment?
- Boiling Point: Separating faith from sexuality until telling family and friends
- Mentor/Mom’s Best Friend: Why Collin was comfortable coming out to Cary
- Taco Time: Say what you have to say about being gay
- People: Give those who love and support you a chance, despite the risk
- Teammates: Promise to protest when something is wrong, not right
Links and Resources:
Collin Martin on Instagram Cary Umhau San Diego Loyal D.C. United Minnesota United FC Major League Soccer (MLS) Richmond Kickers Hartford Athletic United Soccer League (USL) Burning Down the Fireproof Hotel by Cary Umhau Breadcoin Organization Q Christian Fellowship Virtual Conference Queerology Podcast on Instagram Queerology Podcast on Twitter Beyond Shame by Matthias Roberts Matthias Roberts on Patreon