Manage episode 274453289 series 30857
This week’s Power Hour features the wide-ranging Q&A from a recent speech Alex Epstein gave at Lafayette College--a speech that was supposed to be a debate with Michael Mann.
Some of the many topics covered include:
- Does the moral case for fossil fuels uncritically assume that progress is good?
- Do people really choose fossil fuel energy?
- Can the dominance of fossil fuels be explained by a lack of research into other sources of energy production?
- Climate-related damages beyond climate-related deaths.
- Energy poverty in the US
- The value of fossil fuel-based materials
- The “abuse-use fallacy”
- Why the anti-fossil fuel movement is anti-nuclear.
- The “delicate nurturer” vs. “wild potential” view of Earth
- What we can learn from hunter-gatherers
- The psychological motivation for being anti-human
- Electric cars
- Does Alex have a favorite fossil fuel?