Manage episode 323628425 series 2934707
The cleanest, pasture-raised, biodynamic, grass-fed, organic food won’t do an unhealthy mouth much good. Even before digestion, with every bite, pathogens can enter the bloodstream through infected gums. Increasing permeability of the blood-brain barrier and leading to neuroinflammation. Brushing and flossing are a good start.
But our one or two annual trips to the dentist puts us in reactive mode. Holistic health is about prevention, so why should oral care be any different? What my mouth needs will differ from yours. That’s where Bristle can help.Meet our guest
Brian Maurer started his career in genomics, at the DNA sequencing company Illumina. There he was on the ground floor of the genomics revolution that is taking place in healthcare and beyond. Brian got to work with some of the most cutting-edge scientists and companies innovating in areas like oncology, synthetic biology, CRISPR, and more. He co-founded Bristle a year ago with the mission of leveraging genomics technology to fundamentally change how we understand and practice oral health.Thank you to our partners
- Outliyr Peak Performance Shop: get exclusive discounts on cutting-edge health, wellness, & performance gear
- Bristle Health decodes your oral microbiome and personalizes recommendations so you can easily improve your health and proactively fix any issues before the dentist does (using toxic chemicals that cause more issues down the line)
- 9/10 adults brush their teeth incorrectly
- 90% of Americans have one or more cavities, and 47% have some form of gum disease (which correlates strongly with systemic disease)
- Diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, and other forms of neurodegeneration are diseases of inflammation that often begin in the mouth
- Saliva is a powerful anti-microbial defense that also helps speed up wound healing. It protects your mouth. Mouth breathing and waking up with a dry mouth, and medications with this as a side effect may be more dangerous than realized
Do you have questions, thoughts, or feedback for Brian or me? Let me know at mindbodypeak.com/44 and one of us will get back to you!
Be an Outliyr,