Manage episode 271867001 series 2707970
Education policy and research can be super wonky… How can parents use education policy and education research to inform their understanding of their child’s K12 learning ecosystem?
We sat down with Cara Jackson, Associate Partner at Bellwether Education Partners and Adjunct Professorial Lecturer at American University to discuss education policy - what it is, how it impacts our child’s education, and how parents can access research and best practices to better inform them of what’s required for a successful K12 experience.
Check out these resources!
- Chalkbeat (Matt Barnum and others) https://www.chalkbeat.org/2020/4/7/21225437/school-budgets-are-in-big-trouble-especially-in-high-poverty-areas-here-s-why-and-what-could-help
- Brookings Brown Center https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/
- Education Next https://www.educationnext.org/
More from Cara!
Co-edited/co-authored books and articles:
- Linking Teacher Preparation Program Design and Implementation to Outcomes for Teachers and Student: https://www.infoagepub.com/products/Linking-Teacher-Preparation-Program-Design-and-Implementation-to-Outcomes-for-Teachers-and-Students
- Assessment Education: Bridging Research, Theory, and Practice to Promote Equity and Student Learning: https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781475851069/Assessment-Education-Bridging-Research-Theory-and-Practice-to-Promote-Equity-and-Student-Learning
- Engaging with parents: the relationship between school engagement efforts, social class, and learning: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09243453.2012.680893
- The effects of historical reading and writing strategy instruction with fourth- through sixth-grade student: https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2020-08950-001
- Time to pay up: Analyzing the motivational potential of financial awards in a TIF program: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.3102/0162373714524622
- Assessing the Evidence on Teacher Evaluation Reforms: http://caldercouncil.org/assessing-the-evidence-on-teacher-evaluation-reforms/#.XthOtzpKhPY
- Blog posts at Ahead of the Heard https://aheadoftheheard.org/author/cara/
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter: https://bit.ly/LetsK12BetterNewsletter!
*Love our podcast? Rate. Review. Share!