Manage episode 286482527 series 2295409
Amanda and Sarah cover sick teens and evil kids for this episode. Sarah goes into mass psychogenic illnesses (MPIs) - aka mass hysteria - and gives a rundown of various outbreaks, including a mysterious 2011 case at a high school in Le Roy, New York. Amanda opens her door to the Black-Eyed Children, a heavy-hitter urban legend where witnesses claim to have encounters with terrifying youths. Other subjects covered include hating ponies, being a perfect evil kid parent, and casting grandma as the villain.
Sarah recommends the 2018 found footage horror movie The Devil's Doorway. Amanda recommends the indie survival game Overland and the podcast Hollywood Crime Scene.
- New York Times Magazine (What Happened to the Girls in Le Roy)
- Today Show (School baffled by 12 girls’ mystery symptoms)
- The Fever by Megan Abbott
- Chicago Tribune (Examining 1962's 'laughter epidemic')
- Wikipedia/List of mass hysteria cases
- NCBI (Mass psychogenic illness and the social network: is it changing the pattern of outbreaks?)
- The Guardian (Black-eyed ghosts and giant mutant rats: the scare stories that nearly destroyed Britain in 2014)
- The Mirror (Black Eyed Child of Cannock Chase: Watch ghostbuster hunt out soul-sucking demon)
- Brian Bethel recounts his possible paranormal encounter with 'BEKs'
- The Lineup (9 Terrifying Encounters with Black-Eyed Children)
- Behind black eyes: Reports of spooky black-eyed kids by Sharon Hill