Manage episode 285263426 series 2295409
Amanda and Sarah go local and then go medieval with stories about Pittsburgh and Germany. Amanda heads to Clairton, Pa. to cover the ghost town of Lincoln Way, a neighborhood that many see as being mysteriously abandoned. Sarah talks about The Dancing Plague of 1518 in Strasbourg, during which hundreds of people danced for days, sometimes to their deaths. Other subjects covered include censoring dumb celebs and a slippy weather forecast.
Amanda recommends The Sinner.
- “Divine Punishment or Disease? Medieval and Early Modern Approaches to the 1518 Strasbourg Dancing Plague” by Lynneth J. Miller for Dance Research: The Journal of the Society for Dance Research
- Public Domain Review (The Dancing Plague of 1518)
- The Guardian (Keep on moving: the bizarre dance epidemic of summer 1518)
- PubMed.gov (Sydenham's chorea: physical and psychological symptoms of St Vitus dance
- Wikipedia/Dancing mania
- Architectural Afterlife (The Eerie Abandoned Neighborhood of Lincoln Way)
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Clairton fire decimates 'ghost town')
- Grounded (Residents remember Lincoln Way)
- Dark Matters & Mysteries in Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, W.Virginia (A totally made up Urban Legend about a City of Clairton Pa neighborhood)