Manage episode 278651366 series 2295409
Amanda and Sarah cover an unsolved case and another little f*cker. Amanda heads to Brazil for the Lead Masks Case, a 1966 incident where two men were found dead on a hill wearing lead masks, and very few clues as to why they were there or what killed them. Sarah heads to Russia to talk about the domovoi and the kikimora, a pair of house spirits familiar to Slavic folkloric beliefs. Other subjects covered include scat BINGO, Thanksgiving fatigue, and fetishizing fruitcake.
Sarah recommends two books, The Christmas Chronicles by Nigel Slater and The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones. Amanda recommends two films, Prospect and Underwater.
- Russian Folk Belief by Linda J. Ivanits
- New York Public Library (Kikimora, Domovoi, Baccoo, and Other Strange and Spooky Creatures)
- Russia Beyond (5 Slavic horror fairytales that shouldn’t be told at night)
- Ancient pages (Kikimora – Nightly Evil Female Spirit And Goddess Of Chickens In Slavic Beliefs)
- Ancient Origins (She Brings Bad News: The Scary Slavic Household Spirit Called Kikimora)
- Skeptoid (Solving the Lead Masks of Vintem Hill)
- Flying Saucer Review (March-April 1967)
- Anomalies (1966, August 17: The Lead Masks Mystery)
- Mental Floss (The Bizarre Lead Mask Deaths of 1966)
- Wikimedia/Lead Masks Case