Manage episode 300018191 series 2803603
Starting your practice from nothing can be tough; you need to find clients, choose your location, and find a competent team, all while covering your costs and earning a profit. Here to help is our guest, Dr. Solomon Poyourow who has plenty of useful advice and key insights from establishing and running his practice for the past seven years. Tuning in you’ll hear some of the hard lessons that Solomon had to learn, like why it’s important to hire a good contractor and how quality disability coverage is crucial for oral surgeons. Solomon shares some of the biggest challenges he faced when he was starting out, like finding a competent team of staff that worked well together and learning about unsecured property tax. Later Solomon unpacks some of the challenges and benefits of sharing a practice with other partners, and why it really helps to mitigate risk when you first start your practice. Solomon shares some valuable tips for choosing your location and explains which specialists you want to see a high concentration of and why that bodes well for your oral surgery practice. We also hear some very useful details about the costs of running a practice and how to go about opening up a solo practice while doing work as an independent contractor. We loved having Solomon on the show and we are sure you’ll find the conversation as thought-provoking as we did. Join us today for an eye-opening conversation on what it takes to start up a practice from scratch!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Introducing today’s guest Dr. Solomon Poyourow.
- A quick summary of Dr. Poyourow’s training and surgical background.
- Some details on Dr. Poyourow’s current practice setup.
- Some of the lessons Dr. Poyourow has learned from starting his practice and acquiring a new practice.
- Why it’s important to hire a lawyer with at least 10 years of experience.
- Why you should invest in a good contractor when building or renovating your surgery and office space.
- Dr. Poyourow shares why finding a good team is so challenging.
- How unsecured property tax affects you when you start an oral surgery from scratch.
- Why a robust disability policy is so important for oral surgeons.
- The challenges and benefits of sharing your practice.
- Why Dr. Poyourow believes they should have decided to rent a bigger office space years ago instead of being determined to own their location.
- What type of specialists you should look out for, like prosthodontists and endodontists when choosing a location for your practice.
- Dr. Poyourow breaks down the expenses and overheads of running a practice.
- Dr. Poyourow shares his tips for starting a practice while doing work as an independent contractor.
- We get to know Dr. Poyourow a little better in our rapid-fire question round.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World — https://www.amazon.com/Book-Joy-Lasting-Happiness-Changing/dp/0399185046
Helmut Zepf: X-tool — https://www.zepf-dental.com/en/aktuelles/xtool-instruments/
Dr. Grant Stucki Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Grant Stucki Phone — 720 441 6059