Dr. Aaron Liddell: Pearls for Treating Mandibular Fractures, Including Sequencing Multiple Fractures, Dealing with Condylar Fractures, and Avoiding Latrogenic Fractures
Manage episode 301837174 series 2803603
In today’s episode we are joined by Dr. Aaron Liddell, a repeat guest on the podcast; because he has so much valuable knowledge to share one episode wasn’t enough! The main focus of our conversation today is fractures. Over the past few years, and particularly since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Aaron has noticed an increase in the number of fracture cases that he is being called in to treat. He goes into detail about how the different approaches he utilizes to deal with a variety of fractures, using real world examples of patients he has worked with. Aaron offers advice to any surgeons who aren’t used to working in this particular realm of oral surgery which will help avoid unnecessary long term damage. So for all this and more from our great guest, join us on Every Day Oral Surgery!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Trends that Aaron has noticed in Denver over the past few years.
- Ways that the COVID-19 pandemic had an impact on the volume of fractures Aaron was called to treat.
- The best way to avoid fracturing a jaw when taking out a third molar.
- How Aaron’s approach to taking out third molars has changed over time.
- An example of a patient who was inappropriately managed by another surgeon, and the damage control that Aaron had to do.
- Advice Aaron would give to surgeons around dealing with cases that are unusual to them.
- A strategy that Aaron uses in order to avoid using force when taking out a tooth.
- Factors which determine the order in which Aaron will deal with mandible fractures if the patient has multiple.
- How Aaron deals with any fractures situated at the mid-neck level or below.
- Aaron shares his thoughts about hybrid fixation systems.
- Approaches to dealing with different types of low condylar neck fractures.
- When Aaron uses rigid treatments and when he uses non-rigid treatments.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Dr. Aaron Liddell — https://www.coloradooralsurgery.com/meet-us/dr-aaron-t-liddell-md-dmd-facs/
Dr. Grant Stucki Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Grant Stucki Phone — 720 441 6059