Manage episode 291796716 series 69890
One of the biggest crazes right now is the single barrel. That special barrel that was chosen from a select few and shared with a bunch of people, most likely with a sticker on it. And as Ryan so eloquently puts it, it's the perfect product. It's a consumable, it's one of a kind, and there will never be another. Myself, Ryan and Fred have done our fair share of single barrels, probably selecting over 250 combined and probably tasting over a thousand at different distilleries. We've seen it all. In this episode, we talk about what we prefer when we do a private barrel selection experience. And speaking of single barrels, don't forget we have our own private barrel club where we select over 40 different barrels every year.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Fling into spring at Total Wine & More. Always at low prices in-store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about deciding what to drink.
- What is your favorite part about a barrel pick?
- Would it still be exciting if everyone drilled into the barrel vs. thieving?
- What do you think about distilleries pre-picking barrels to select from?
- What is a good number of barrels you should be able to taste through when picking?
- How do you feel about proofing down the barrel pick?
- Do you have a glassware preference?
- Snacks or no snacks during a barrel pick?
- Should distilleries provide lunch?