Manage episode 301357755 series 2769149
Investors seemed jittery this week as two storm clouds lingered over markets, including the Federal Reserve’s potential tapering of asset purchases and the literal bad weather caused by Hurricane Ida – the latter of which led to closures of key oil refineries in the US Gulf. In today’s episode, Kevin Prins, Chris McHaney and Matt Montemurro discuss how fixed income and equity markets are responding to the changing environment, offering numerous trade ideas to help investors stay on the right side of the oil prices – and the yield curve. They also dive into trade balances, recent GDP numbers and strategies to make the most of a slowing economy.
Kevin Prins is the Head of ETF & Managed Account Distribution at BMO Global Asset Management. He is joined on the podcast by Chris McHaney and Matt Montemurro, both Portfolio Managers and ETF Specialists at BMO Global Asset Management. The episode was recorded live on August 31, 2021.
Fixed Income ETFs mentioned in the podcast:
- BMO Short-Term US TIPS Index ETF (Ticker: ZTIP)
- BMO Long-Term US Treasury Bond Index ETF (Hedged Units) (Ticker: ZTL.F)
- BMO Long-Term US Treasury Bond Index ETF (USD Units) (Ticker: ZTL.U)
- BMO Aggregate Bond Index ETF (Ticker: ZAG)
- BMO Short-Term US IG Corporate Bond Hedged to CAD Index ETF (Ticker: ZSU)
- BMO Mid-Term US IG Corporate Bond Hedged to CAD Index ETF (Ticker: ZMU)
- BMO BBB Corporate Bond Index ETF (Ticker: ZBBB)
- BMO High Quality Corporate Bond Index ETF (Ticker: ZQB)
- BMO Laddered Preferred Share Index ETF (Ticker: ZPR)
Equity ETFs mentioned in the podcast:
- BMO S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index ETF (Ticker: ZCN)
- BMO Low Volatility Canadian Equity ETF (Ticker: ZLB)
- BMO Clean Energy Index ETF (Ticker: ZCLN)
- BMO Equal Weight Oil & Gas Index ETF (Ticker: ZEO)
- BMO MSCI USA High Quality Index ETF (Ticker: ZUQ)
- BMO MSCI All Country World High Quality Index ETF (Ticker: ZGQ)
- BMO MSCI Europe High Quality Hedged to CAD Index ETF (Ticker: ZEQ)
The viewpoints expressed by the Portfolio Manager represent their assessment of the markets at the time of publication. Those views are subject to change without notice at any time without any kind of notice. The information contained herein is not, and should not be construed as, investment, tax or legal advice to any party. Investments should be evaluated relative to the individual’s investment objectives and professional advice should be obtained with respect to any circumstance. Any statement that necessarily depends on future events may be a forward-looking statement. Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of performance.
Commissions, management fees and expenses all may be associated with investments in exchange traded funds. Please read the ETF Facts or prospectus before investing. Exchange traded funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated.
For a summary of the risks of an investment in the BMO ETFs, please see the specific risks set out in the prospectus. BMO ETFs trade like stocks, fluctuate in market value and may trade at a discount to their net asset value, which may increase the risk of loss. Distributions are not guaranteed and are subject to change and/or elimination.
BMO ETFs are managed by BMO Asset Management Inc., which is an investment fund manager and a portfolio manager, and a separate legal entity from Bank of Montreal.
®/™Registered trade-marks/trade-mark of Bank of Montreal, used under licence.