Manage episode 273729531 series 2536178
This week, Steve and Matt are joined by Cal McDonald to discuss best practices for educating kids. In addition to being a black belt under Rob Biernacki, Cal is a specialist in creating educational frameworks for children. Cal shares his knowledge on the topic in a wonderful conversation with implications well beyond teaching children. This is one of our favorite conversations ever on the podcast.
Learning strategies discussed:
- Effortful Retrieval: Make them work to pull concepts back out of their memories.
- Chunking: Manage their cognitive load.
- Interleaving: Shake it up to force them to recall techniques.
- Varied Practice: The partner provides variable levels of resistance.
- Elaboration: Connect things to what they already know.
- Modeling: Demonstrate flawless technique because they will mirror you.
Mental models discussed in this episode:
- Spaced Repetition
- Cognitive Load
- Incremental Learning
- Critical Control Points
- Transfer of Learning
- Growth From Discomfort
- Position Over Submission
- Alignment Over Position
IMPORTANT: BJJ Mental Models needs your help.
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the future for Steve and Matt is uncertain. Our gyms are closed, our income is impacted, and we need your help in order to continue providing free content. We've started a Patreon where you can support BJJ Mental Models. Please help us keep the lights on so we can keep your game sharp during this once-in-a-century crisis. Link here:
Need more BJJ Mental Models?
Get tips, tricks, and breakthrough insights from our mailing list:
Get nitty-gritty details on our mental models from the full database:
Let them know you're an educated grappler with our merch:
Get the latest BJJ Mental Models updates from Facebook:
Music by Enterprize: