Manage episode 272028652 series 2536178
This week, Steve is once again joined by Rob Biernacki from Island Top Team. If you follow Rob, you know how passionate he is about respecting expertise and calling out impostors. We live in a world where identifying expertise is harder - and more important - than ever. In this episode, we give you the tools to do so.
When assessing an expert, beware these red flags:
- Does the expert speak with 100% certainty at all times?
- Does the expert avoid disclosing the limits of their knowledge?
- Does the expert try to win arguments with quantity instead of quality? (the Gish gallop)
- Does your expert cherry-pick facts to support their position, while disregarding evidence to the contrary?
- Is the expert unwilling to entertain criticism?
- Does the expert speak in overly simple, black-or-white terms?
- Does the expert rely solely on their title or rank to justify their opinion?
- Does the expert speak on matters outside of their area of expertise?
- Are there no "quality gatekeepers," such as publishers or fact-checkers, to ensure the expert is correct?
- Do the majority of other experts speak poorly of this expert?
- Has this expert conflated experience with expertise?
IMPORTANT: BJJ Mental Models needs your help.
In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the future for Steve and Matt is uncertain. Our gyms are closed, our income is impacted, and we need your help in order to continue providing free content. We've started a Patreon where you can support BJJ Mental Models. Please help us keep the lights on so we can keep your game sharp during this once-in-a-century crisis. Link here:
Need more BJJ Mental Models?
Get tips, tricks, and breakthrough insights from our mailing list:
Get nitty-gritty details on our mental models from the full database:
Let them know you're an educated grappler with our merch:
Get the latest BJJ Mental Models updates from Facebook:
Music by Enterprize: